Friday, August 9, 2013

Arrivederci HarbourCats

I must apologize for my lack of posts lately, but a family vacation beckoned so I write this as I sip my cappuccino in Italia. But it is a good segue...the Italians are emotional, passionate people and so are Victoria baseball fans. I have been following the games whenever time and wifi allow and I love all the comments recently. Seems like I am missing some controversial times.

Firstly, a big THANKS to all those who leave comments. It keeps the blog lively and interesting. In fact, this quick post is really just to clarify my own thoughts on the developmental aspect of the league and how I see it.

I just reread some of my old posts and a lot of the recent comments, since it beats following my daughters around shopping. My take is this... the HarbourCats do want to, and do try to win every game. You may not agree with how they go about it, but that is what they try to do. However, the nuance is that this is a developmental league so consider this a "constraint" to putting the best team on the field. Is it a developmental league or a league where players are developed? I say both.

The WCL coaches have a tough job trying to win every game while at the same time, deal with college coaches imposing restrictions, injuries and the fact that these are 18  to 20 year old kids. I am certainly not giving the coaches amnesty for their questionable decisions (exhibit A- Connor Russell), I'm just saying when you see one of those decisions, it MAY, I repeat MAY, be because a college coach has given some input, there is some sort of injury or the kid may have been goofing around off the field. I have two kids that age and it is an understatement to say that the can have crappy attitudes or make bonehead life decisions from time to time.

So again, continue to question the coaches, but realize that there are other factors in play in this league. I don't believe it makes it any less appealing - I, for one have loved watching the ball this year - just more complicated.

My advice is to not be so quick in "throwing your toys from the pram" when you see your favourite batter hitting in a weird spot, or your favourite pitcher riding the pine. Question it, for sure, but consider that other factors may be at play.

So no playoffs this year, but lets keep that passion flowing into next year. Positive momentum. This developmental thing may end up working in our favour if we can generate some returnees from this year's freshman rich roster (exhibit B - Conant the Barbarian) as we strive to become a perennial Titan club like Wenatchee or Corvallis.

Enjoy these last fleeting days of summer, support the lads and keep those comments coming. We love it!

Ciao!



2 comments:

  1. Yes kids this age can still be immature. That is one reason why NCAA teams like to see a couple of years of junior hockey being played now. They figure a kid is ready for college hockey when he is 20 years old, after being out of highschool a couple of years and being on their own between 18-20 years old, in addition to the skill development. The best ages to play college hockey are 20-24 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete